Sleep dentistry, also known as dental sedation, is a method used by dentists to help patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during dental treatments.
It involves the use of sedatives or medications to induce a calm state, reducing anxiety and fear and provides a relaxed and comfortable dental experience for patients who struggle with anxiety or fear.
Types of Sedation
There are different levels of sedation used in sleep dentistry. The common types include:
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)*: This is a mild sedative inhaled through a mask. It helps patients relax but allows them to remain awake and responsive throughout the procedure.
- Oral Sedation: In this method, a prescribed pill or liquid medication is taken prior to the dental appointment. It produces a deeper level of sedation, making the patient drowsy or even fall asleep during the procedure.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation: Administered through a vein, IV sedation delivers a stronger sedative effect. It is usually reserved for more complex dental procedures or for patients with higher levels of anxiety.
*General knowledge information only. Brentford Dental does not provide Nitrous Oxide sedation
Benefits of Sleep Dentistry
Sleep dentistry offers several advantages, such as:
- Anxiety Reduction: It helps patients who experience dental anxiety or fear to feel more at ease during their dental visits.
- Increased Comfort: Sedation dentistry ensures a pain-free and comfortable experience, allowing the dentist to perform the necessary treatments more efficiently.
- Time Efficiency: Patients under sedation tend to be more cooperative, enabling the dentist to complete multiple procedures in a single visit.
- Improved Oral Health: Sleep dentistry encourages patients to receive necessary dental care that they might otherwise avoid due to anxiety or fear, resulting in better oral health outcomes.
Who Can Benefit from Sleep Dentistry?
Sleep dentistry can be beneficial for:
- Patients with Dental Anxiety: If you feel nervous or fearful about dental treatments, sleep dentistry can help you relax and receive the necessary care without unnecessary stress.
- Individuals with a Sensitive Gag Reflex: Sedation can reduce the sensitivity of the gag reflex, making it easier for patients who struggle with this reflex during dental procedures.
- Those Requiring Complex Procedures: Sleep dentistry can aid patients undergoing extensive or invasive dental treatments, ensuring their comfort throughout the process.
By understanding the different sedation options available and their benefits, you can make an informed decision about whether sleep dentistry is right for you.
If you have any concerns or questions, consult with your dentist, who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific needs.
It is rare for patients to experience side effects as a result of intravenous sedation.
The few who do may report slight nausea, drowsiness, swelling or bruising at the site of the injection.
In very rare cases there is a possible reaction to sedation drugs. Brentford Dental ensures that all necessary emergency equipment and reversal drugs are on hand to manage any situation.
Reduce your dental anxiety with Sleep Dentistry
If you're one of the many people who have a fear of dental treatments, then sleep dentistry will definitely help you feel more relaxed and comfortable during your dental treatment.
For sleep sedation treatments in Forest Hill, schedule an appointment with Brentford Dental today.